Sunday, December 5, 2010

Billy Taylor and Jazz Mobile



On November 29, 2010, Dr. Billy Taylor was celebrated as the visionary and founder of Jazz Mobile. A grand musician in his own right, Dr. Taylor's passion for his art has given us a vehicle with which to nurture young artists and perpetuate the art of Jazz. The celebration was held at the Schomburg Institution.

The fact that Dr. Taylor is observing his 90th birthday is also an indication of how long this gentlemen has served his art. Because my family and I have a rich history in Jazz I have long been aware of Dr. Taylor's genius and his enormous contribution to culture.

Also on this celebratory evening there was a personal source of pride for me--my student Brianna Marie Thomas was chosen along with other fine musicians to entertain. Brianna, a most versatile singer continues the great tradition of Jazz vocals. I applaud Brianna for having been chosen to represent the art of Jazz stylings, and above all, to be a part of paying tribute to one of the Masters, Dr. Billy Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment